Sunday, August 26, 2012

Eats, Treats, and Beats Intro

It has been far too hot in Hamilton this weekend to be cranking up the oven and baking. That, however, is how I have chosen to spend my weekend. When a girl gets a hankering for freshly baked cookies and muffins, she's gotta have them. Thank goodness I have air conditioning!

I started this blog for many reasons. I've been debating putting myself out there on the internet for quite some time. I am a very private person, but I believe I have some interesting and useful stories to share. Cooking and baking has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories involve 'helping' my mother bake muffins or squares and filling my little tummy with cookie dough and cake batter. Both my parents also loved cooking and we always had delicious home-cooked meals growing up. As I got older, they started to involve me and share their secrets and tricks of the trade.

Now that I'm all grown up and living on my own, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in my kitchen. I find great satisfaction in sharing my baked creations with friends and colleagues and spreading a little sugary joy wherever I go. I also have received dozens of compliments on my lunches from co-workers. Being a girl with a healthy appetite, I am incapable of cooking for one. My eyes are always somehow much larger than my stomach. The advantage of this, however, is that I never have to make lunches - I just pack up my leftovers from last night's dinner. I'm often explaining to jealous colleagues how I crafted this gourmet dish that made the lunchroom smell so good. Why not share my recipes with the internet world?

So that's the eats and the treats explained, but there's also the matter of the beats. I am a lover of music and a musician myself. My childhood was full of music (apparently all we ever did was cook, bake, and dance around the house to fun music!). I'm always playing music while cooking and baking - it just livens up the process. My tastes are pretty eclectic, and my plan is to share a song or two that inspired me while creating each dish that I post.

Finally, I have always enjoyed writing. I'm a bit of an introvert and kept a diary through elementary and high school. I haven't written as much as an adult - funny how free time gets diverted to other concerns as we get older. I do miss it and am hoping that this blog will be a great creative outlet. I'll be posting quite a bit these first few days as I have a backlog of pictures and recipes to share. Plus I'll feel better about the blog if it has more than one post! So no eats or treats quite yet, but we'll start with some beats. In honour of my childhood reminiscing to begin the blog, we'll start with Chantal Kreviazuk's Time. Hope you enjoy, and come back often!

No comments:

Post a Comment