Monday, February 18, 2013

Slow Cooker Creamy Mushroom Soup

When you're having a busy week, it's comforting to pull out the old slow cooker and toss in some ingredients in the morning with the knowledge that you'll have a delicious meal and an aroma-filled house when you return home with hardly any effort on your part. This past week I decided to have a soup night. I had purchased an excess amount of mushrooms at the grocery store since they were on sale, and I needed a recipe that would use them up so I wouldn't end up tossing them in the compost at week's end. I took to Google and looked up some various slow-cooker mushroom soup recipes and created a hybrid of several to make my own creamy soup. 

Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup


2 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 container cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley
½ tsp paprika
½ cup wine
2 ½ cups water
1/3 cup cream
2 tbsp flour
1/2 cup sour cream

Add first 11 ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 hours. Turn the slow cooker up to HIGH. Add the cream; stir. Mix the flour into the sour cream, add to the soup, and stir. Continue cooking on HIGH for another 2 hours.

I loved how simple this was. Admittedly, because I was at work and could not leave in the middle of the day to adjust the temperature, my soup ended up cooking on low for 8 hours before I turned it up and added the cream ingredients. I warmed up a nice piece of bread to dunk in this creamy delight, and it was a wonderful comfort meal for a crazy week at work.


I made this soup last Tuesday which is always yoga night for me at the gym. I practice for so many reasons - increased flexibility, better strength and balance, relaxation and recharging, and because I discover new music. The beats for this dish come from the moves we did in class a few years back, but I still listen to it frequently and it's always on my playlist when I decide to do some at-home yoga. Take some deep cleansing breaths, cuddle up with some creamy mushroom soup, and turn on Your Guardian Angel by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.


No comments:

Post a Comment