Monday, June 03, 2013

Roasted Lemon Vegetables Gratin

Here's a quick post with another one of my go-to side-dishes to complete a meal. As is my usual goal, this offering has a medley of vegetables and bold flavour between the lemon and the cheese. It sounds like a strange combination, but I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised and that you will want to make this all the time!

Roasted Lemon Vegetables Gratin

1/4 onion, roughly chopped
1/2 zucchini, sliced
one section red pepper, roughly chopped
one section green pepper, roughly chopped
6 cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt, pepper, garlic powder
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
grated rind of 1/2 lemon

Preheat the oven to 400F. In a bowl, toss the vegetables with the oil, lemon juice, and seasonings until fully coated. Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a flat roasting pan. Roast for 20 minutes in the oven, stirring after 10 minutes. While roasting, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, and lemon rind in a small bowl.
Remove the pan from the oven after 20 minutes and give the vegetables another stir. Top vegetables with the breadcrumb mixture. Turn on the broiler and return the pan to the oven. Broil for 3-5 minutes until the cheese melts and the breadcrumbs brown. Serve immediately.


As you can see, my broiler is a tad uneven and my breadcrumbs got very brown on the one side. (You can also see how well-used my roasting pan is!) Keep an eye on the pan while it's in the broiler to ensure that you don't burn the crumb mixture. The result is savoury and satisfying. Who says vegetables can't steal the spotlight?

For my tunes, I was inspired by the heatwave we experienced at the end of last week. Saturday certainly was not the most opportune day to roast vegetables in a hot oven, but I had a craving for this concoction so I endured the Heat Wave (Martha & the Vandellas).


No comments:

Post a Comment