Saturday, January 05, 2013

Glazed Carrots

I like having a diverse arsenal of vegetable side dishes that are quick and easy so I can round out any meal. This one I make frequently because it is simple and goes with just about any type of meat.

Glazed Carrots

12 baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise, and then cut in half crosswise
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp white wine
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp dill

(These measurements make one serving).

Heat a small pan on medium-high. Melt the butter, and then add the carrots and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't burn. Add lemon juice and wine, stir, and let come to a boil. Add the mustard, stir, and then turn heat down to low and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add the dill, stir to coat carrots, and let simmer for another 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

The carrots are tender-crisp with a great flavour. They rounded out my dinner tonight so I had a fabulous little elegant feast:

I wish I could take credit for the rest of the meal, but I really can't. The other side dish was a McCain frozen potato and vegetable medley, and the meat was a London broil prepared by the good folks at the grocery store. I can make both, but they were both on sale, and sometimes even those of us who love cooking need a little break and take the easy way out.

This meal needed an elegant song with a slow beat you can savour. I chose a beautiful tune by Norah Jones called Come Away With Me. I think if I cooked a meal like this for any man, he's want to come away with me!





No comments:

Post a Comment