Saturday, January 05, 2013

Weekend Lunch: Pita Pizza

I decided to make my first ever attempt at homemade pizza today for lunch. I had all the necessary ingredients - tomato sauce, vegetables, mozzarella cheese - and I had bought pitas this morning at the grocery store which would make a perfect crust. I'll type out my recipe as I made my pizza today, but pizza is such a highly personal culinary treat, which makes it quite unique. Everyone has their own perfect topping combination, so what worked for me today might not work for you. I encourage you to take the idea behind this pita pizza and accessorize it with your own favourite toppings! Finally, my pizza ended up being monstrous - I had a little too much of each topping for just one pita. The measurements in the recipe to follow would make 2-3 pita pizzas, unless you enjoy a crazy pizza like me.

Pita Pizza

one whole grain pita (but really 2-3...my eyes were larger than the pita)
3-4 tbsp tomato sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup pineapple chunks
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup chicken breast, seasoned and sautéed
1/4 cup onion, chopped
3 tbsp parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly spray a pan and place the pita on the baking pan. Put in oven for 5 minutes to pre-crisp. While the pita is crisping, chop the vegetables and sauté the chicken breast. Here's my layout of toppings eagerly awaiting their pita crust:


Take the baking pan out of the oven. Add the tomato sauce to the pita and spread out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the mozarella cheese. Add the desired toppings. Top with the other 1/4 cup mozarella cheese and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Place back in oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on desired crispness.

And here's my finished product:





So I know, I went a little overboard, but I had already chopped all the vegetables, so I had to use them. Despite being piled ridiculously high, this pizza was delicious, and relatively healthy, as far as pizzas go. This would be a great recipe to make with kids as everyone can personalize their own pita pizza.

I need some fun beats to accompany this pizza, so I picked a song that I love to belt out just about anywhere - the car, the kitchen, at a party with friends. Just like this pizza that suits any occasion and fulfilled my afternoon hunger, this song is a surefire selection to get me pumped up and fulfill my need to sing and dance - Mr. Brightside by the Killers.


No comments:

Post a Comment